>

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Charity Event for the NM House Rabbit Society

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to let you know about an exciting event that is coming up! In an effort to help raise money for the New Mexico House Rabbit Society, Giacobbe-Fritz Fine Art and myself are putting together a fun and exciting fundraiser. I have recently finished 2 new paintings that I am donating to be raffled off to raise money for the NMHRS. As many of you know rabbits are near and dear to my heart. Not only did I have an amazing house rabbit growing, but Tyler and I have been blessed to have had 3 wonderful rabbits over the past 8 years. For the raffle, I painted portraits of Edgar ("Berry) and Asterix ("Mint"). Each painting is an original acrylic on canvas and valued at $750. Please purchase a ticket or two at the Gallery or at Givezooks.com and help a great cause.


I will also be at Giacobbe-Fritz Fine Art in Santa Fe, NM demonstrating, Aug. 1-2. 

My Personal Rabbit History

*Smokey: 
Smokey was our family rabbit growing up. He was suppose to be a mini lop, but was more a full size lop. We took he everywhere with us; camping, out in the yard, our beds, and once he even tried to take a bath with me. Smokey was one amazing rabbit and everyone we know wanted a pet just like him; however, he was one of a kind and lived with us from a few weeks old until he passed away at 14 years of age.

*Edgar:
After my husband, Tyler, and I got married we both felt that we need an animal in our lives. We were living in an apartment at the time that didn't allow pets, but we both grew up with a passion for animals. Both having rabbits growing up we knew how quiet they were and decide after a great deal of thought that one should join our family. We went to a local pet/feed store and found little Edgar. Edgar was the runt and looked so sad. After meeting her we couldn't let her go. And yes, HER name is Edgar. When rabbits are small sometimes it is difficult to tell if they are a boy or a girl. We named her after Edgar Allen Poe. Once we found out that she was a female the name fit her to well not to keep it. Edgar just turned 8 years old this month and she has been with me through much of my College education and my art career. She's still spends every day with me in and out of my studio. Mostly she begging for head rubs and treats, but on occasion she returns the favor by bathing us in licks. Edgar is an American Sable Mix.

*Hazel:
A year after we brought Edgar home, we thought that she needed a friend, since rabbits do better in pairs or trios. Hazel- Ra was named after the main character in the book, Watership Down and was my 1 year anniversary gift. Tyler was going to buy me a dozen roses; but instead I talked him into getting Hazel. Hazel was my little sweetheart. Hazel favor place was to be under my feet everyday while I painted. In fact, I started to develop carpal tunnel in my ankle from petting her so much. We sadly lost Hazel to cancer a year ago in April, just a few days after her 6th birthday. Although Edgar and Hazel never fully bonded, it was as hard on Edgar as it was on us to lose her. Her sweet spirit is missed everyday. Hazel- Ra was a Lionhead/ Holland Lop Mix.

*Asterix: 
After a few weeks of grieving for Hazel, Asterix came into our lives suddenly. Edgar was becoming more and more depressed and through the help of rabbit lovers online, we decided to look into adopting another rabbit. I, personally, wasn't ready to bring another rabbit home, but we found Asterix at the Utah Humane Society and Tyler know there was something special about him. Once we adopted him we changed his name from Murph to Asterix to fit his adventurous personality. Asterix comes from the old Asterix and Obelix Cartoons and Comics, that I grow up on. We have had Asterix for just over a year now and he still makes me smile everyday with his quirky personality and zippy spirit. Asterix is now 3 years old and is a Lionhead. 

Someone once said that,"When a new rabbit comes into your heart it doesn't replace another one, but it makes it's own room." Each one of my rabbits has made a special place in my heart, as has every animal I have had in my life. Please consider adopting a rabbit or any animal that needs a good home or donate to help them receive the care they need. 

No comments: